As a Life Coach and Dating Expert, I always tell my clients and friends, do as I say, not as I do (LOL)! With more online dating sites and apps than ever before and more people getting back into the dating world after divorce than ever before,
I still get asked quite often for advice on the simple rules for online dating. So, let’s look at my Top 10 simple rules:
- CHOOSE the dating site(s) that are right for what you are looking for. Know that some dating sites are known for LOVE and some are notorious for attracting singles looking for casual dating and hookups. Choose which works for you at this time.
- Have an OBJECTIVE and HONEST person in your life read/edit your profile before you post it. You do not want to create a false perception of yourself, in either a positive nor negative way.
- Be HONEST in your PROFILE! I am not telling you to give away all of your personal information and secrets, but be honest about the important things. You are who you are…OWN it!
- POST at least two photos and make sure one is a FULL LENGTH photo. Post photos that are WARM and WELCOMING. Make sure you SMILE in one. SEXY photos are fine, just don’t overdo it or give away too much too soon! And, Guys…ease up on the shirtless selfies (LOL)!
- Make sure the person contacting you has at least two PHOTOS, as well! You have every RIGHT to ask for more. If TEETH are important to you, ask for a smiling photo! And, Guys…take off the hats in every photo, some of us think bald is sexy!
- You DO NOT have to RESPOND to every contact you receive! Be as KIND and considerate as possible, but you do not “owe” anyone anything. Your time is valuable. Don’t waste it!
- Make sure you have at least one full length PHONE CONVERSATION before you meet for a date! This does not mean a full TEXT CONVERSATION! Take the time to see if you VIBE and have a connection worth pursuing in person.
- Meet in PUBLIC and on NEUTRAL territory! Take your own car and do not go to someone’s HOME. In keeping it real, I have made this mistake more than once and it rarely turned out well! Be smart and safe and do as I say, not as I do (LOL)!
- Make your first date a BRIEF one. I recommend a COFFEE or DRINK date (2 drinks max!). Give yourself a responsible “out”, if you need it! This is a hard rule I commit to! I made a lot of mistakes online dating many years ago when I started and definitely learned the hard way!
- NO SEX on the first date! Okay, you’re an adult and if you want it, go for it…BUT, know that when things happen too quickly, they usually end quickly too!